Stop for a moment and read this headline on Fox News’ website.
What is the first thing that comes to mind?
Being a journalism major I can tell you that this headline was written extremely well. The phrasing is impeccably planned and deliberate in its purpose to deliver both a factually accurate message, along with a not-so-subtle false one.
You see, Obama did in fact make a phone call to thank the Libyan president following the attacks and deaths at the U.S. Embassy. The gratitude delivered to him was that resulting from President Mohamed Yusuf al-Magariaf reaching out and giving his condolences, his remorse and disdain for a few extremists that reside within his nation, and his full support in investigating this tragedy.
But Fox News knows that the majority of its viewer and readership won’t read past the headline. In fact, journalists know that a well-written headline should convey the core topic of the article, to catch attention and immediately make a statement without the reader having to read any of the actual article. What Fox News has done with this headline is purposefully sway readers into beleiving that our United States President made a phone call to THANK the Libyan president for the attacks and deaths of our fellow Americans. Crazy right?
Not. The scary part is that most people who see this headline are going to think just that. Regardless of the facts. Regardless of what should be common sense in that our own President would NEVER thank anyone for damage and death caused to his citizens.
This is irresponsible journalism, just one example of thousands of poor decisions that Fox “News” makes on a daily basis to feed its own fire and to steer its ignorant and ill-informed followers in whichever direction they see fit. But why not just call it what it really is?
Legal brainwashing and defamatory propaganda, not unlike that of Nazi Germany (Godwin’s Law or not) or Middle Eastern terrorist groups.
American terrorism, right here, right now.
what the dildo is goin on here
I love that you, the journalism major, explained this. I love that. Thank you.
Well here’s a headline you don’t see every day…
If you’re skeptical, hear him say it for himself.
It just gets worse and worse as you read it and LISTEN to him. Holy crap. Spread this, I mean it, to every American able to vote LISTEN.
Please spread this like jam on toast.
- His shock-and-awwwwwww campaign against abusive puppy mills.
- His complete and total reversal on campaign finance.
- The wrestling journalist who described his 1989 conversation with Santorum as “asshole central.”
- This quiz.
- His principled opposition to human–jellyfish hybrids.
- His defense of anti-sodomy laws.
- His love of coal.
- His bizarre attack on single mothers—and equally bizarre end-times theory about Iran.
- The fact that Obamacare was designed to help families like his—whether he admits it or not.
- His traveling roadshow, which included the aforemention dude with the pickup truck, and the overwhelming majority of the Duggars.
- His bizarre assault on prenatal testing, which he called a coordinated effort “cull the ranks of the disabled in our society.”
- His tendency to get sidetracked by arguing with college kids about gay marriage.
- And…his Google problem.
Some of Santorum’s more outrageous comments:
- He said women aren’t capable of serving in combat because there would be “emotions that…
Watch the clip.
The Roberts Court is on its way to fundamentally rewriting what it means to be American, and that’s pretty terrifying, since they’re unelected and wholly unaccountable to the people of this country for the duration of their lifetime appointment.